Pancake Tuesday 2021
Posted by Tonje Hefte on
Pancakes are delicious on any day of the year, but of course they are especially more-ish on Pancake Day. And so to celebrate here is one of Naturally Stefanie’s plant-based recipes for you to enjoy at home.
I often make these recipes for family and friends. If you’re cooking a large batch of pancakes, I would recommend keeping the cooked pancakes warm in the oven on a low heat, so everyone can eat together.
The trick with all these pancakes is to make sure the centre of the pancake is cooked through – not just the outside. My poor husband, Marco, has been subject to a few too many soggy pancakes in his time!
Leave your pancake mix to sit for ten minutes before cooking so it thickens up and is not runny. Then cook on a low to medium heat and allow the pancakes to cook slowly until the edges start browning and little holes or bubbles appear in the batter – that’s when you know the centre is cooking. No soggy pancakes here – hooray!
BLUEBERRY AND LEMON
Makes 6–8 pancakes
200ml almond milk
35g vegan vanilla protein powder or substitute with 35g of oats
1 ripe banana
1 tsp baking powder
150g blueberries (plus extra for topping)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
- First, juice and zest the lemon. Set the zest to one side – you’ll use it as a topping for the pancakes later.
- Lightly grease and preheat a non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Using a blender or whisk, mix together the oats, protein powder, banana, baking powder, lemon juice and almond milk to form a smooth batter. Then add the blueberries.
- Once the pan is hot, pour the batter into the pan until desired pancake size is reached.
- Cook the pancakes until the surface begins to bubble and the edges turn brown then flip and cook on the other side. This should take between 4 and 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to your plate or into the oven to stay warm.
- Top with the extra blueberries and lemon zest.
Naturally Stefanie by Stefanie Moir was published by Black & White in November 2019. Read more about the book here.